Monday, May 3, 2010

"Healing the Sick"

I can not begin to express how strong my testimony is for priesthood blessings. Jeff sure has gotten lots of practice these past two years. Since I was sick for about 4 months, I often times woke up Jeff in the middle of the night for a blessing. He was always willing to, and every time told me thanks for asking him for a blessing. It not only strengthens my testimony by receiving one, but his from giving it. I remember the first time I understood my testimony of priesthood blessings was Dec 6, 2007. I called my brother at 3 a.m telling him I needed to go to the ER That I couldnt get out of bed. I was terrified it was my appendix. The first thing I did when I was in pain was call my brother for a blessing. When normally I would have tried to sleep it out or take medicine. I'm so grateful for my brother who came over so give me a blessing and take me to the ER. Two years ago to the date I woke up and asked Jeff for a blessing before my surgery. I was not one bit scared for my surgery cause I knew I had asked the Lord for comfort. Today when I was at work I was reading talks from General Conference on my phone. (drooooooiiid). Here is my fav. part. (it was from priesthood sesh, so I encourage all women to go read it, if you haven't yet).

As children of God, knowing of His great love and His ultimate knowledge of what is best for our eternal welfare, we trust in Him. The first principle of the gospel is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and faith means trust. I felt that trust in a talk my cousin gave at the funeral of a teenage girl who had died of a serious illness. He spoke these words, which first astonished me and then edified me: “I know it was the will of the Lord that she die. She had good medical care. She was given priesthood blessings. Her name was on the prayer roll in the temple. She was the subject of hundreds of prayers for her restoration to health. And I know that there is enough faith in this family that she would have been healed unless it was the will of the Lord to take her home at this time.” I felt that same trust in the words of the father of another choice girl whose life was taken by cancer in her teen years. He declared, “Our family’s faith is in Jesus Christ and is not dependent on outcomes.” Those teachings ring true to me. We do all that we can for the healing of a loved one, and then we trust in the Lord for the outcome.
-Dallin H. Oaks.

I hope all of you are able to contact a worthy priesthood holder for a blessing when you are scared, need comforting, or sick. I promise you that the will of the Lord will take affect.

Love you all.

M.

2 comments:

  1. I just taught my primary class about priesthood blessings on sunday! They really are an amazing thing to have in our lives.

    ReplyDelete